“Montessori schools promote hands-on, self-paced, collaborative, joyful learning. Children in Montessori follow their interests, wherever that passion leads; giving them strong academics, leadership, self-discipline, responsibility, independence, initiative and a lifelong love of learning.”
Authentic Montessori environments encompass the following principles:
- Mixed-age groups which not only offer a wide range of activities to spark children’s interest but also enable children to learn from others and learn by helping others.
- Freedom for children to work at their own pace, without interruption, choosing from a range of activities that are developmentally challenging and appropriate.
- Exploration is encouraged so that children find things out for themselves, make mistakes and correct them independently.
- Respect for each child as an individual personality with unique talents.
- Respect for others, the community and the environment.
- An AMI Montessori teacher has a deep understanding of child development and has been thoroughly trained to guide children towards productive and challenging experiences, both individually and collectively, that will provide a firm foundation for their future.